Ok, this is apparently important. 8+ games down now with the new rules, and yes, it took me this long to figure out how to take full advantage of Aegis Defense Lines without getting terrain blocked.

Aegis Defense lines are valuable because of the interceptor rule, and becuase of the they have skyfire. However, in many games I have been using them, terrain blocking during "The Battlefield" phase of setting up the table is quite common. I am here to tell you that its easy to stop this........ Im just slow. : )

Games Workshop obviously did not miss this one, although I apparently did for several games, which is why we get lots of practice games in learning the rules. Hopefully this helps people that have not gotten in so many games and yet want to use the skyfire rules, and aegis defense lines.

Follow me to page 120 of the new rulebook if you have it, or just read along. First paragraph......
Fortifications count against the terrain density limit of the 2'x2' area in which the majority of the fortification lies.  

Its simple, since there is really only ever d3 pieces of terrain maximum in an area, if you put two aegis defense lines in a single terrain zone, you have probably just filled it up so no more can be used. If not, and you roll off for who places terrain next... if you win... place a low lying crater somewhere in the zone and you are done.

I find terrain set up to be extremly valuable and just as important as your army deployment. So get to it, practice terrain set ups, and start using those Aegis Defense Lines!!!

14 Comments:

  1. Ha! The cheese is a fake!

    So is it just me or did GW up their prices on bastions and defemse lines on their website?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe thatt was mentioned in the annual price hikes, end of May beginning of June. Think where the guy talks about getting the items before the hike and taking them back to the store at the higher price to get more for his buck...

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah. I was at my GW ans last time i checked it was 30ish for a bastion. Shoulda got 1...

      Delete
  2. Lucky me: I bought two of these earlier for the autocannons to make Rifleman dreads and have just had the barrier pieces laying around for months. I was actually going to just give them away to a guy I know who makes terrain. Now I can use them!

    Since my Deathwing lists are packed and don't allow much flexibility in points for adding terrain I'll use them in my Ork lists as I've got tons of random guns laying around to scavenge for quad mounts! I'm very excited about 6th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But, you have to take 2 force orgs to be able to take two Aegis Defense Lines...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The alternating terrain set-up is of course only the second option for setting up a battlefield.l if you use option 1 (the first option, presumably the most common option) you won't have this problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not so sure its going to be the most common. After all it then makes the use of fortications a little funky.

      Delete
  5. With my friends and I, we will be placing bought terrain AFTER the other terrain is placed, cause I still find it super cheese that you even have the ability to do this terrain blocking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrain placement is now part of the Tactical/strategic phase of the game. The better you are at setting up your ground or screwing up your opponents ground the easier the battle will be.

      Delete
    2. Granted its more a tactic or strategic to use blocking terrain, but if you are setting up a defense prior to a battle, you would not set it up with your guns blocked c,ause you are limiting your response. It is what it is.

      Delete
    3. For sone reason i could see the terrain in front of my interceptor guns as orky. Then if IG do it id say its due to Creeds tactical Genius!

      Delete
  6. My thoughts are along tyarlashan's logic. Why would anyone set up a defensive wall with a 3 story wall in front of them? Its just silly in my opinion. Yes I see the tactic and such behind it, but only from a gaming point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because while you were putting in those defense lines. You accidently kicked a pebble which revelead a massive ruin right in front of your lines....

      Curse Creed and his tactical genius of hiding that ruin behind the rock! :P

      Delete
    2. Sorry, Jaydee, you forgot the compulsory cry of CREEEEEEEED!
      Apart from that one example, it doesn't really make sense:
      Sergeant: Soldiers! You see that wood over there, between us and the enemy?
      Soldiers: Yessir!
      Sergeant: I want you to build a defense line behind it!
      Soldiers: What?
      Sergeant: With the AA guns facing into the wood so we can't see the flyers until it's too late! Hurry up!
      :D

      Delete

 
Top
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...